Saturday, February 26, 2011

Productivity makes me happy!

This top was made from a very soft knit that has been curing in my stash for a couple years. Probably from JoAnn's clearance area. I used Simplicity 2520 top for this. I'd like to make a mustard pencil skirt and get a skinny mustard belt for this top.

This was an outfit that did not quite pan out in person as it did in my mind! The skirt is a double sided quilted piece from JoAnn's clearance area. Again, it's been curing in the stash for a while. I used a salvage edge wool for the trim in the front seams. The front panel was cut on the bias and stretch wonky when I put it on so I fused a tricot interfacing to the front inside. The top is a cheap sweater knit from who knows where.... again, a very cured piece from the stash! I used New Look 6753 for the top. I did add to the bust area so the seam would fall below the bust line rather than across it.

This top is made with the Jalie tee pattern. It is my tried and true pattern for tops. I did finally break down and do a bust adjustment. I did not like how just using a larger size sagged on my shoulders. This fabric is from JoAnn's. There were two pieces in the remnant bin so this top was cheap! It will be nice with jeans and a jacket.

This is another Jalie tee pattern using the enlarge bust. Printed fabric is from remnant bin and not sure where the brown is from. It was stash and matched really well. I added a ruffle down one sleeve. Again, another great top for jeans and a jacket.
I am pleased with my February sewing. This was in addition to the Mom of the Bride outfit I am making for a client and all the embroidery and alteration/repair I did for clients. I have three more things that have been cut out for a while that I want to sew up this weekend so we shall see! I'd like to get all my UFO's (unfinished objects) sewn and out of the way so I can start on some other ideas that are swirling in my head!
Blessings! Linda

Friday, February 18, 2011

Transforming Ugly....

Well over a year ago... maybe two this spring.... while on the way to church, I spotted two wingback chairs in the trash. U.G.L.Y. I was almost in panic mode as I wanted the chairs. My hubby was flabbergasted that I would consider it. So we dropped the kids off at church and drove back to load them into the van. The upholstery was worn and they stunk!

People from church were driving by and hubby was mortified! I was giddy with excitement and the possibilities for these two chairs.

Here is a picture of the found state...

We have a friend who is a carpet cleaner so he came and tried to get the smell out but what worked the best was sitting the chairs in the sun. I started the search for fabric for the chairs. I did not want to spend a ton of money on the fabric and wanted a piece that was pretty neutral so I could put the chairs anywhere in the house.

I found just the piece at JoAnn's on a 50% off the clearance. $3.00 a yard for upholstery weight fabric! Cha-Ching!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of the fabric:

This is a tan chenille with the leaf pattern cut into the chenille.

My hubby and I re-upholstered these together. It was our first "real" upholstery job. We've done kitchen chair seats and little benches and such but nothing like a wingback chair. I am sure a professional could have done a much better job but at $500.00 a chair I decided to go for it myself. We have less than $100.00 in re-upholstering BOTH chairs.

Here's a picture of the chairs. I am working on a little side table for between the chairs. Right now their home is in my bedroom. Might try them flanking each side of the fireplace.... I see some furniture moving in my future!

I am motivated to get my bedroom finished up now...... I have been dragging my feet. A little more painting... a little more sewing..... ooooo the possibilities!

Paticipating in Metamorphisis Monday At